The Alliance for Young Artists & Writers and Golden Artist Colors partner to offer an unprecedented opportunity for educators with a student who received recognition in the 2020 Scholastic Art & Writing Awards, presented annually by the Alliance for Young Artists & Writers. Three educators are invited to participate in a two-week artists’ residency in a sylvan setting in upstate New York through the Sam & Adele Golden Foundation. The 2020 residency will be held from July 21 to August 3, 2020.
- Applicant must be the educator of at least one student who has received regional (Honorable Mention, Silver Key, Gold Key) or national (Silver Medal, Silver Medal with Distinction, Gold Medal) recognition in the 2020 Scholastic Art & Writing Awards. The recognition can be for art or writing.
- Applicant must be working in the paint medium.
How to Apply:
The online application will open on March 2 and close on April 15, 2020. In the meantime, educators may view a sample application here.
About the Residency:
In the rolling hills of central New York within sight of the Golden Artist Colors manufacturing facility, a 19th-century barn has been transformed into a 21st-century artist residency, with large studio spaces and private apartments.
Residents have an unparalleled opportunity to work with dozens of unique materials and technologies. Residencies are based on the exploration of innovative uses of painting technology. Residents explore materials that challenge the way they think about paint and are introduced to materials that open up new channels for expression and the creative process. GOLDEN experts will be available throughout the residency for technical assistance.
Scholastic Art & Writing Award educators chosen for this residency are expected to use this experience to develop their own artistic practice.
In addition to the selected three residents, nine additional finalists will receive $1,000 Golden Artist Colors gift certificates.
The Selection Process:
GOLDEN Educators Residents will be selected through a competitive juried process. The committee’s criteria will focus on the quality of the submitted work.
Included in the Residency:
- GOLDEN staff will work with residents to arrange their travel to and from the residency. GOLDEN will cover all reasonable travel costs (up to $800).
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner will be provided daily during the Residency period
- A spacious private apartment with private bathroom and shower
- 24/7 access to open studio space ranging in size from 900 sq. ft. to 1200 sq. ft. (Because open studio space will be shared among residents, solvent use will be limited.)
- A $1,000 gift certificate for GOLDEN Acrylics, Williamsburg Oils, or QoR Watercolor paints
- Access to custom and experimental acrylic products
- An introduction to the Golden Artist Colors laboratories and manufacturing facilities
- Daily exploratory workshops with Golden Foundation teaching artists
- 24-hour access to a fully equipped shared kitchen, laundry facilities, wireless Internet access, and access to common areas
- Access to 140 acres of pastoral meadows, woodland trails, and meandering brooks
Artists should plan to bring their own brushes and other tools for painting and additional materials such as canvas and paper.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (212) 343-7700.