About This Scholarship
The Portfolio Awards, made possible by generous individual donors and other supporters, offer $10,000 scholarships to 16 Gold Medal Portfolio winners and $1,000 scholarships to 30 Silver Medal with Distinction Portfolio winners.
How do I apply?
All graduating seniors submitting a collection of six works with accompanying Artist or Writer Statements and Personal Statements (500 words or less) are eligible. When applying, select “Art Portfolio” or “Writing Portfolio” as your category. You will be prompted to include an Artist or Writer Statement and a Personal Statement about your work.
Regional deadlines are as early as December 1, 2021.
What should I write about in my artist or writer statement and my personal statement?
Your Artist or Writer Statement should provide insight into the creative processes used to render the collection of works in your portfolio. These statements must not exceed 500 words and will be viewable by jurors. Do not use self-identifying information in your statements. Below are prompts that may help in crafting your statement:
- What do you want your audience to understand about your collection of works?
- What are the key ideas, issues, struggles, or goals within the portfolio?
- Did you make deliberate decisions about materials and processes (for art portfolios) or voice and literary devices (for writing portfolios)?
For the Personal Statement, tell a story from your life, describing an experience that either demonstrates your character or helped to shape it. Your Personal Statement must not exceed 500 words and will not be available to view by jurors. It may, however, be viewed by the scholarship committee should your portfolio advance to the national round of awards selection. Below are prompts that may help in crafting your Personal Statement:
- What is a significant challenge, setback, or failure that you experienced? How did you respond to it? How did it affect you, and what did you learn from the experience?
- Have you ever had a long-cherished or accepted belief challenged? How did you respond? How did the challenge affect your beliefs?