The information on this page applies to 2017. Watch this space for information about future residencies.
For the third year in a row, the Alliance for Young Artists & Writers and Golden Artist Colors are partnering to offer an unprecedented opportunity for educators with a student who received recognition in the 2017 Scholastic Art & Writing Awards, which are presented annually by the Alliance for Young Artists & Writers. Three educators will be invited to participate in a two-week artists’ residency in a sylvan setting in upstate New York through the Sam & Adele Golden Foundation.
- Applicant must be the educator of at least one student who has received Regional or National recognition in the 2017 Scholastic Art & Writing Awards. (This can be a Regional or National Award in either Art or Writing).
- Applicant must be working in the paint medium.
How to Apply
The application period is now closed. An announcement of the recipients will be made on June 8.
About the Residency
July 20–August 4, 2017. In the rolling hills of central New York within site of the Golden Artist Colors manufacturing facility, a 19th-century barn has been transformed into a 21st-century artist residency, with large studio spaces and private apartments.
Residents have an unparalleled opportunity to work with dozens of unique materials and technologies. Residencies are based on the exploration of innovative uses of painting technology. Residents explore materials that challenge the way they think about paint and are introduced to materials that open up new channels for expression and the creative process. Golden experts will be available throughout the residency for technical assistance.
Scholastic Art & Writing Award educators chosen for this residency are expected to use this experience to develop their own artistic practice. Preference will be given to applicants who are members of the National Art Education Association (NAEA) which provides professional development for arts educators. You may still apply if you are not an NAEA member and if you are chosen you will be provided with an annual membership.
Included in residency
- Golden staff will work with Residents to arrange their travel to and from the Residency. Golden will cover all reasonable travel costs.
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner will be provided daily during the Residency period
- A spacious private apartment with private bathroom and shower
- 24/7 access to open studio space ranging in size from 900 sq. ft. to 1200 sq. ft. (Because open studio space will be shared among residents, solvent use will be limited.)
- One-year membership with the National Art Education Association (or one-year extension of existing membership)
- A $1,000 gift certificate for GOLDEN Acrylics, Williamsburg Oils and QoR Watercolor paints. (In addition to the selected three residents, nine additional finalists will receive $1,000 GOLDEN Artist Colors gift certificates.)
- Access to custom and experimental acrylic products
- An introduction to the Golden Artist Colors laboratories and manufacturing facilities
- Daily exploratory workshops with Golden Foundation teaching artists
- 24-hour access to a fully equipped shared kitchen, laundry facilities, wireless Internet access, and access to common areas
- Access to 140 acres of pastoral meadows, woodland trails, and meandering brooks
Artists should plan to bring their own brushes and other tools for painting and additional materials such as canvas and paper.
Residency Dates: July 20–August 4, 2017
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (212) 389-3625.